Centre USD 397 Transportation: Student Bus Rider Rules
Student safety is always a major concern whenever transporting students. The driver must have the cooperation of all the students on the bus. Students are expected to follow the rules or they may lose privileges. Continued misconduct will lead to the loss of transportation privileges.
Waiting at the bus stop the students will:
- Be on time (should not be more than 5 minutes early).
- Show respect for the property of others.
- Conduct themselves in an orderly and safe manner.
- Stay at least 3 feet back from the roadway when the bus arrives.
- Line up single file and prepare to board the bus safely.
Boarding the bus students will:
- Sit only in assigned seat (if seats are assigned).
- Keep items out of the aisle (band instruments, bags, etc.)
- Get settled in seat as quickly as possible and remain seated.
Riding the bus students will:
- Remain seated at all times.
- Face forward in his/her seat.
- Not place feet or knees on seats or against seat backs.
- Keep hands to themselves.
- Not push, shove, fight, spit on floor, etc.
- Not use tobacco (smoking or chewing).
- Not eat on the bus.
- Not yell or stick head out of the bus windows.
- Talk in a normal conversation tone.
- Not lower windows below black line (halfway), unless otherwise instructed by the driver.
- Be quiet at all railroad crossings.
Leaving the bus students will:
- Leave seat only when instructed by the driver.
- Exit from front to back in an orderly manner.
- Keep feet and hands out of aisle while others are exiting.
- Keep hands to self when exiting the bus.
- Follow the driver's directions when crossing the street.
- Students will ONLY exit the back door during an actual emergency.
- Only properly mounted science projects will be allowed.
- No live animals will be transported.
- Glass, firearms, electronic games, knives, balls, bats and skateboards will not be transported.
- If seating arrangements do not allow room for large items to be safely stored without blocking the aisle or exit, the student will be asked to make other arrangements for transporting these items.
- Students should not litter, write on or damage the bus in any way.
- Trash should be picked up and windows closed in student’s area.
- Classroom behavior is expected on the bus.
- If more than one student is riding home with another on the bus, the parent/guardian MUST call the Transportation Director at 785-983-4356 to make arrangements. There is very limited space on the bus with only four bus routes.
Disciplinary action will be taken for the following:
- Deliberate defiance; refusal to cooperate with the driver.
- Deliberate delay loading or unloading the bus.
- Obscene and unacceptable language, signs or remarks.
- Throwing items of any kind in the bus or out of windows.
- Smoking, chewing tobacco, possession of drugs or weapon.
- Excessive talking and unnecessary noise.
- Lack of courtesy and respect.
- Extending hands, arms or head out of the windows.
- Refusal to stay seated; turning around in seat.
- Fighting or scuffling on the bus or at the bus stop.
- Tampering with equipment, deliberate vandalism.
Bus Discipline Notice:
1st Offense - Warning will be sent home.
2nd Offense - Possible 5 days off the bus.
3rd Offense - Possible long-term suspension from riding the bus.